Full-Time Assistant Technical Officer, Mental Health at the Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS) – Benue, Cross River and Taraba
Benue, Cross River and Taraba
Date Posted: 2020-12-07
The Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS), established through an Act of the Parliament in 1960, statutorily to complement public authorities in humanitarian interventions, is hiring an Assistant Technical Officer, Mental Health in Calabar, Ogoja-Cross River, Adikpo-Benue, (Takum, Gembu) – Taraba
- Reports to: Technical Officer – Clinical services
- Dotted line: Manager – Nutrition Supervisor and Mothers Club Coordinator
- The Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS) was established through an Act of the Parliament in 1960 to complement public authorities in humanitarian interventions with the mandate to prevent and alleviate human suffering at times of peace or conflict, and to support individuals and communities to respond effectively to emergencies, without any form of discrimination as to class, gender, race, political opinions or religion.
- With support from UNHCR, Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS) is implementing ‘Delivering Health and Nutrition Assistance to Cameroon Refugees project’. The project aims to strengthen access and delivery of quality healthcare and nutrition services to 6000 Cameroon refugees and host communities in Benue, Cross Rivers and Taraba state of Nigeria. Since the conflict in southern Cameroon began in October 2016, displaced persons cross the border into neighboring Nigeria in search of safety, stability and a better life. As of 31 October 2019, there are more than 46,000 Cameroonian refugees registered in Cross River, Benue, Taraba, and the Akwa Ibom States in the south-eastern region of Nigeria.
- NRCS is focusing on strengthening the health care systems in refugees host communities and camps in Benue, Cross Rivers and the Taraba States through support to free delivery of healthcare to pregnant women, children under 5 years of age, the elderly (above 60years of age) and most vulnerable including but not limited to the disable and mentally ill. The project also supports medical outreach and referral linkages of the affected population to national free priority health interventions including but not limited to immunization, HIV care, and sexual and reproductive health to improve health outcomes.
- Nigerian Red Cross Society is seeking qualified and committed medical and health care professionals for medical outreach and Primary Health Care services to strengthen and expand the provision of essential health services to the refugee population in Benue, Cross Rivers and the Taraba States.
Job Roles and Responsibilities
- Member of the medical outreach team that ensure integration of mental health in all medical outreaches and PHC services
- Will ensure management of mental healthcare at the PHC level and initiating referrals where necessary
- Providing Psychological First Aid and Psychosocial Support for Victims of violence and sexual abuse
- He/ She will identify and adequately refer to protection cases
- He/ She shall also provide mentorship and guidance to health workers in PHCs on proper management and treating trauma-related problems
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Clinical Psychology, Counselling Psychology, Social work, Psychiatry
- Registered and possess a valid license with an appropriate regulatory body
- 2 years’ working experience in emergency mental health/crisis interventions
Application Closing Date
11th December 2020.
Method of Application
The interested and qualified candidate who is passionate and willing to contribute towards the achievement of our goals should send their CV and Cover Letter as one document in PDF format saved with their name.
Subject of the mail: Position State Example: Assistant Technical Officer, Mental Health Benue State
- Kindly note that applications who do not follow this specification will be disqualified.
- Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
301 total views, 1 today