We are looking for a Driver (Lagos, Nigeria)
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. We are a non-profit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital, and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs, and wealth for their families and communities. With over 50 years of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
About the Project
Prosper Cashew is a five-year, $26 million project funded by the U.S. Department of Agriculture under the Food for Progress Program that aims to catalyze investment for the West African cashew processing sector. Over the next five years, the project will strengthen and revive existing cashew processing facilities across Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, and Nigeria and support the development of new processing facilities and other value chain enterprises as part of the project’s overall goal to increase the share of raw cashew nut that is processed in the region from about 8% to 50%. Over five years, Prosper Cashew will improve the capacity of 60 processing units who source cashews from approximately 34,000 farmers, facilitate $497 million of investment in the cashew sector, and generate $1.5 billion in cashew kernel sales. The project expects to create more than 26,000 new jobs (at least 50% for women) and indirectly benefit more than 133,000 women, men, and children in West Africa.
Primary Purpose and Function
The driver will drive TechnoServe staff and representatives within project areas in Nigeria as required, take proper care of assigned vehicles, and implement TechnoServe’s Transport and Vehicle Policy for Nigeria.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Driver’s priorities will broadly fall into the following categories:
- Drive staff for business-related purposes as requested.
- Ensure all necessary vehicle documents (e.g. insurance, registration documents, etc.) are present in the vehicle and up to date.
- Take care of vehicles tools and cleanliness.
- Accurately fill in the vehicle log book with details of each journey.
- Take care of his/her own personal safety, that of the passengers and third parties on board the vehicle (seat belt, etc…)
- Drive the vehicles according to the road code in force in Nigeria;
- Ensure that fuel cards always have sufficient credit and, if not, inform the direct manager;
- Welcome and accompany project staff and consultants at the airport and facilitate departure or arrival formalities as needed;
- Immediately report any accidents, technical faults or failures, damages, and maintenance needs to the appropriate staff member, and to note details in the vehicle log book.
- Ensure that assigned vehicle(s) are completely equipped with a first aid kit, spare tyres, working flashlight and batteries, vehicle jack, wheel brace and a tool kit (spanner, wrench, tyre removers, patch kit, etc.).
- Keep track of the scheduled service time of the vehicle in order to make sure that servicing is performed on time.
- Report to supervisor any vehicle defects that need repair.
- Ensure every morning, and when necessary, the maintenance of the vehicle: exterior washing, dusting and cleaning of the interior.
- Monitor and maintain the fuel level at the minimum necessary.
- Supervise small repairs (tire changes, etc.).
- Make all necessary arrangements for major repairs and periodic maintenance of vehicles.
- Assist in with general administrative/office duties, such as messenger duties, sending/collecting/distributing post and faxes, filing, photocopying, etc.
- Support project staff as necessary while on tour as may be designated.
- As a member of the business unit, work collaboratively with team members to ensure good coordination, communication, planning, and customer service to staff and programmatic operations, including providing cover for and support to others, and undertaking duties as delegated by the line manager.
- Maintain awareness of road, traffic and other conditions in the city of function and team travel areas to ensure their safety.
- Be punctual to ensure the smooth running of meetings, appointments and activities.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by your Supervisor.
- Minimum WAEC level of education
- Basic driving and mechanics certificates
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in long trips driving
- A Valid driving license
- Certificate of Good Conduct or equivalent
- Recommendation letter by 2 Referees (of Professional relationship)
- The ability and willingness to travel nationally, sometimes to remote locations
- Good communication skills in both local dialects and English
- Flexible, reliable, adaptable, responsible and team-oriented.
- Ability to balance multiple priorities and meet demanding deadlines
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills.
- Experience working with staff from diverse backgrounds
Deadline for application: August 26, 2021; 17h00 WAT
We encourage all qualified individuals who share TechnoServe’s vision of improving the lives of others through proven business solutions to apply.
With our commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes.
We are also proud of our commitment to protecting staff, partners, and beneficiaries from abuse and exploitation and thoroughly vet all final candidates through rigorous background and reference checks.
If you have a disability that affects your ability to use our online system to apply for a position at TechnoServe please contact the Human Resources at or call +1 202 785 4515.
12 total views, 1 today