Part-Time Driver – Night Shift, Borno
JOB TITLE: Driver – Night Shift
TEAM: Humanitarian Team
CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Level 3- The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people and, in the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3 posts in view of potential situations which may allow staff unsupervised access to vulnerable children and young people.
The driver is responsible for the safe driving of Save the Children International vehicle, staff and Assets. The Driver will ensure the cleaning, proper maintenance of vehicles in compliance with the Driver’s handbook and safe driving standards, ensuring the vehicle is fuelled in time for trips and the proper management of the fuel supply for that vehicle. The driver should do so in accordance with SCI policies and procedures. Also, the driver is expected to drive in an emergency as the need arise and also to drive in the evening (night shift)
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Fleet Officer
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
· Maintain the vehicle log and fuel consumption documentation
· Keep the Vehicle Documents Folder up-to-date:
· Support the Fleet Officer with the Vehicle Usage report, including trip use, mileage and fuel consumption.
· Maintain a valid driver license, registration and valid permits all the time
Control of Vehicles
· Ensure that all vehicle journeys are authorized in advance by Line Managers.
· Ensure that all vehicle journeys are to be recorded in the logbook at the start and completion of the journey
· Ensure that the keys and vehicle documents are kept in a secure place when the vehicle is not in use.
· Ensure that s/he wears the vehicle safety belt and all passengers also wear seat belts before driving the vehicle.
On the road
- Safely drive SCI staff and assets as t when requested
· Ensure that the line manager is immediately informed of any accidents, the Accident report is filled immediately and the accident is reported to the police as soon as possible.
· Ensures safety of passengers at all times
· Safe transport of all staff, equipment, and materials
- Save the Children has a no passenger policy – this relates to all non-agency personnel and is for reasons of safety, the continuance and equity of the programme.
- Save the Children may give lifts to agency and Governmental staff on occasion for the benefit of the programme – see passenger policy for details.
- SCI reserves the right to refuse entry to a vehicle by any staff member without identification documents or who cannot be identified by SCI staff.
- In the event of a medical emergency lifts may be given with prior approval of the programme manager – see passenger policy for details.
· Check the vehicle prior to its use in the morning and after use
· Check the vehicle before departing from work.
· Check, on taking over a vehicle, that the items listed on the Vehicle Check List and the items listed in the Vehicle Tools and Materials Inventory are present and in full functioning order.
· A driver is to check for vehicle defects and damage to the vehicle and ensure that he reports them to his line manager. After consulting a mechanic, the line manager will make the decision as to whether the vehicle should be taken off the road for repair.
· Report and supervise all maintenance and repair needs of assigned vehicle.
Cleanliness & Visibility
· The driver is responsible for ensuring that his vehicle is kept clean on the outside and inside at all times. The driver is also to keep the vehicle tidy and ensure that all rubbish is removed from the vehicle after a journey.
· Driver is to ensure SCI visibility protocols are adhered to at all times.
- Map out driving routes ahead of time to determine the most expedient routes
- Pick up SCI staff/guests at the place and time requested
- Assist with loading and unloading of luggage of passenger(s)
· Follow and abide by the traffic rules, SCI regulations, driver safety manual and any other instructions given by the Line Manager
· Maintain all vehicle’s safety equipment, as per vehicle safety kit, in liaison with the logistics officer – including first aid kit, communication equipment, tow rope and fire extinguisher
· Work after duty hours or holidays as and when required and with prior notice from the line manager
· Perform any other relevant and appropriately requested by the Line Manager
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
· accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
· high level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
· holds self and others accountable
· creating best-in-class EA function
· future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
· working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
· excellent communication and interpersonal skills
· builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
· approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
· designing more effective admin systems
· willing to take disciplined risks
· Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
Administrative & General Skills
- A valid driver license
- Should have 3-5 years of experience in professional driving.
- Prior experience as a driver in an international NGO, UN agency or private company
- The ability to multi-task and work calmly under pressure is essential for this position.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in insecure environments is critical.
- Some practical experience of user vehicle maintenance.
- Personal Qualities:
– A proactive and flexible approach to work
– An ability to work with minimum supervision
– A systematic approach to work
– A people orientated person who enjoys working in a team
– A keen interest in self-development
– A reliable, polite and professional attitude to ensure SCI is perceived as such.
- Working knowledge of the Save the Children Emergency Manual, Sphere, and Convention on the Rights of the Child.
- Strong oral and written English language communication skills are required.
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and frustrating working circumstances is required.
- Any additional skills and/or experience that could be used by Save the Children would be taken into account in the selection process
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better health care, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Save the Children is committed to ensuring that all our personnel and programmes are absolutely safe for children.
We undertake rigorous procedures to ensure that only people suitable to work with children are allowed to join our organization and all candidates will, therefore, be subject to this scrutiny.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as it is contrary to the values and practices of our organization.
Due to the volume of applications received, Save the Children may not provide feedback to all applicants. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as received. Save the Children reserves the right to change the closing date, if considered necessary.
Save the Children
17 total views, 1 today