Full-Time GBV Manager
International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and Nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
International Medical Corps is therefore looking for a suitable candidate to fill the position of
GBV Manager to be based in Maiduguri.(Re-advertised)
Position: Nigerian nationals only
The GBV Program Manager will lead the in training of new GBV staff, provide technical support to GBV staff and promote the understanding of gender and GBV issues among Nigerian government officials, in particular within the law enforcement, the Ministry of Women Affairs etc as well as managing a GBV response and prevention program at the field level. GBV Community Assistants, WGSS Supervisor, and Case Worker Supervisor will report to the GBV Manager.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
· Work with the GBV Coordinator to oversee project activities and provide advice, support and assistance in the development of training materials, BCC materials and methodologies, etc., as necessary in order to achieve project goals.
· Prepare and update detailed program workplans that support and achieve the overall program goal and objectives within the desired timeline
· Provide direction and monitor staff in their implementation of the workplan and quality of technical activities, share relevant information and direction to improve quality and achieve time-bound goals
· Plan timely for procurement of resources to ensure smooth and timely implementation of activities
· Actively participate in the development of new programming ideas and proposals.
· Work with the GBV Coordinator to monitor monthly expenditures and track budgets; approve expenditures to designated level.
· Organize and facilitate trainings to develop capacity of GBV staff and other partner organizations to respond to cases of GBV in line with international standards
· Closely coordinate with GBV Coordinator and staff to ensure timely and compliant implementation of program activities and expenditures.
· Undertake regular communication with GBV staff to assess progress and identify technical quality issues and/or other implementation issues, provide solutions and implement modifications as required.
· In collaboration with the GBV Coordinator establish and maintain a network of referral agencies in relevant areas. This will involve determining who provides what service, where, what the referral criteria and process are. Maintain regular contact with services and agencies.
· Document case studies, success stories and lessons learned of the program and share with the GBV Coordinator on time.
· In collaboration with the GBV Coordinator, coordinate with IMC GBV staff in all operational areas the participatory design and implementation of national awareness raising campaigns that targets gender-based violence, in partnership with other actors (GoN Ministries, National and International organizations, the UN, etc).
· Conducts assessments, identifies needs and prioritized activities.
· Collaborate and coordinate with other IMC programs (Nutrition, WASH) and key stakeholders at field level to enhance multi-agency and multisectoral cooperation and coordination, especially among those agencies who provide referral services.**
Human Resource & Staff Development
· Provide ongoing supervision, leadership and technical support and guidance to all GBV program staff
· Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
· Provide regular performance feedback to staff and where necessary work with Human Resources to document staff performance issues and address these in accordance with the National Staff Employment Policies.
Grant Monitoring & Reporting
· Build capacity of staff in using M&E systems and tools
· Draft weekly program updates in collaboration with GBV Program Assistants and the GBV Coordinator
· Contribute to internal and donor reports as per set schedules (bi-weekly, monthly, quarterly and annually) on activities, indicators and achievements.
· Support the collection, analysis and dissemination of project data and information for program review and information sharing
Coordination & Representation
· Coordinate and advocate with other governmental and non-governmental service providers to promote mainstreaming of GBV across sectors and delivery of quality multi-sectoral GBV response, at the national level
· Attend regular management meetings to share information and lessons learnt and make joint decisions and ensure harmonization of tools and approaches across programs.
· Ensure establishment of, and IMC participation in, GBV coordination meetings at LGA level and ensure written minutes and reports are shared with the GBV Coordinator
· Refrain from making false promises and commitments to the beneficiaries and work in the best interest of the IMC GBV Program.**
· Foster a team spirit among GBV staff that is conducive to all staff improving their skills and knowledge base.
· Consistently and proactively monitor the safety and security of the team, promptly reporting concerns or incidents to IMC management.**
· Other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IMC GBV program. **
Qualifications and experience
· University degree in Social Science, Social Work, Psychology, Counselling, etc
· Thorough awareness and knowledge of gender and gender based violence issues.
· Minimum of 3 years’ experience in managing gender and development or programs providing services to survivors of violence against women.
· Belief in and commitment to gender equality, and to changing attitudes and behaviors that condone violence against women.
· Proven track record in staff and stakeholder training and capacity building.
· Knowledge, skill and experience in participatory methods for community mobilization.
· Strong leadership, communication, and project management skills.
· Experience supervising and mentoring staff.
· Previous experience living and working in a deep field location.
· Experience with capacity building of local partners, preferably in a post-conflict setting.
· Strong computer skills (Excel, Microsoft, PowerPoint and Outlook)
· Fluency in English (written and spoken) Hausa is a must.
· Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations with staff and other stakeholders
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse.
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within International Medical Corps and amongst beneficiaries served by International Medical Corps.
Compliance & Ethics:
Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity.
“International Medical Corps never asks job applicants for a fee, payment, or other monetary transaction. If you are asked for money in connection with this recruitment, please report to International Medical Corps at Please do not submit your CV or application to this website, it will not be considered for review”
- International Medical Corps is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran.
Due to the urgent need of the position a*pplications received will be reviewed on a rolling basis.*
15 total views, 1 today