Full-Time Guidance Counsellor
The Counsellor attends to the socio-emotional life of every student. She encourages/challenges students regularly during school assembly sessions, guides/counsels students in one-on-one sessions whenever the need arises and provides material for weekly sessions of Personal and Social Education. She also organizes career programmes for students and is in charge of university admissions. Above all, the Counsellor is a role model for every student.
- Minimum Qualification: Degree
- Experience Level: Mid level
- Experience Length: 2 years
- Provide crisis intervention to students when difficult situations occur at school
- Discuss with parents, guardians, teachers, administrators, and other professionals the children’s progress.
- Resolve behavioral, academic, and other problems, and determine priorities for students and their resource needs.
- Counsel students to help them understand and overcome personal, social, or behavioral problems affecting their educational activities.
- Counsel students regarding educational issues such as course and program selection, registration, school adjustment, study habits, and career planning.
- Maintain accurate and complete student records required by administrative regulation.
- Evaluate students’ abilities, interests, and personality characteristics, using tests, records, interviews, and professional sources.
- Observe students during classroom and play activities to evaluate students’ performance, behavior, social development and conduct follow-up interviews with counselees to determine if their needs have been met.
- Provide training, workshops, seminars, and special programs to teach students to handle conflicts without resorting to violence.
- Collaborate with principals to conduct orientation programs and group conferences to promote the adjustment of individuals to new life experiences.
- Collaborate with principals in developing, -coordinating, and implementing the school’s guidance, administrative rules, and directives.
- Collaborate with principals to review transcripts to ensure the students meet graduation/ college entrance and write letters of recommendation.
- Collaborate with principals to determine appropriate disciplinary measures for students.
- Planning and/or promoting programs which enhance the academic, social, or emotional growth of students, e.g., Curriculum Fair, Career Fair, Graduation, opportunities for student enrichment and/or remediation, scholarship opportunities, and parent informational programs;
- Working with students who have discipline, attendance, and academic problems and are referred by teachers, parents, or administrators;
- Guiding each student to choose courses consistent with his/her interests, abilities, and career plans.
- Helping students develop post-secondary educational plans in accordance with their interests, abilities, and career plans;
- Assisting students with the completion of college admissions applications.
- Organizing and promoting standardized assessment opportunities and interpreting test results to students and/or parents on request;.
- Assuring that appropriate, accurate information is maintained in each student’s permanent, cumulative record.
- Scheduling; counseling students in vocational and career guidance.
- Expected to be very knowledgeable of career preparation in order to provide advice to students regarding education and employment options after high school.
- Supply admission requirements for colleges and training programs.
Minimum Requirements / Qualifications:
- This job role is opened to applications from Female candidates only.
- An enthusiastic, energetic, ambitious, and smart individual with a resounding track record of success as a guidance counselor.
- B.Sc / B.Sc Ed / PGDE / M.Ed in Guidance Counselling, Psychology.
- At least 2 – 3 years experience of coaching, managing, and coordinating students’ in the educational sector.
- Knowledge of child policy regulation and its implementation.
- Quality exposure to British and Nigerian curricula.
- Evidence of continually improving the behavior of students.
- An experience of raising attainment in a challenging learning environment.
- A record of past accomplishments and experience in collaborating with various stakeholders to accomplish school goals.
- An experience developing positive relationships with colleagues, staff members, parents, and students.
Personal Qualities, Knowledge, Skills, And Attributes:
- Effective communication and presentation skills, good command of the English Language,
- A good understanding of adolescent psychology, good interpersonal skills, a team player, ability to work effectively with minimum supervision, proficiency in the use of Office Suite like Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.
- Therapy and counseling – Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures or diagnosis, treatment, and career counseling and guidance.
- A thorough understanding of the current and changing educational landscape.
- Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum design, teaching, and learning of students.
- Understanding the needs and motivations of young people.
- Knowledge of human behavior and performance; psychological research methods and the assessment and treatment of the behavioral and affective disorder.
- Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, designing forms, and other relevant office procedures.
- Proficient in the use of ICT for management of data, as well as the ability to work effectively with all Microsoft office suites, such as Word, Excel, power-point.
- Proven track record in the delivery of an outstanding student experience.
- A professional role model for all students and educators in attitude, demeanor, and appearance.
- Proven expertise in organizational time-management, interpersonal, evaluation, negotiation, decision making, and good working relationship skills.
- An approachable, personable individual with a good sense of humor.
- A flexible, adaptable, decisive individual with great attention to detail.
- Ability to develop children to reach their full potential regardless of background or circumstances.
- Experience in supporting and implementing change.
- Ability to create a safe, happy, and successful environment.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
Important Safety Tips 1. Do not make any payment without confirming with the Jobberman Customer Support Team. 2. If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.
20 total views, 1 today