Part-Time Human Resources (HR) Specialist
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Based in Copenhagen (Denmark) and present in forty countries, the Danish Refugee Council is a non-profit-making, politically independent, non-governmental and non-denominational relief organization.
Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency. * Background
Danish Refugee Council (DRC), and its Humanitarian Disarmament and Peacebuilding technical unit – the Danish Demining Group (DDG), has had an operational presence in Nigeria since 2015. DRC Nigeria is the largest DRC country mission in the West Africa region and one of the largest DRC country missions globally. Currently, DRC delivers life-saving assistance and protection to vulnerable, conflict-affected populations including internally displaced persons, returnees and host communities in the areas of armed violence reduction, humanitarian mine action, livelihoods, nutrition and food security, protection, shelter and non-food items (NFI) and water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) in 30+ Local Government Areas (LGAs) across Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states in northeast Nigeria.
The DRC Nigeria is looking to recruit an experienced, highly- qualified and enthusiastic professional to join our great Human Resources team in Nigeria.
This role is a key partner to the HR Coordinator role in order to ensure proper implementation of DRC procedures and guidelines within the country with a focus on strict compliance. The role mainly provides support, research and/or technical guidance on HR issues upon request of the HR Coordinator. The role includes regular travels to field locations in Nigeria following a need assessment conducted by the HR Coordinator and the managers. The role also contributes to the development of country strategies which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks.
This position is a technical one, requiring a consistent previous experience in a similar position. This position also requires solid knowledge in HR and safeguarding. This position also requires a full professional proficiency in English language. * Duties and Responsibilities
Under the authority of the Head of Support Services, with strong supervision of the Human Resources Coordinator and occasional technical support from the Regional Human Resources Coordinator, the Roving HR Specialist is a key partner to the HR Coordinator for managing the HR workflow : she/ he is responsible for providing HR technical guidance and support in the best possible delay while providing accurate and easy to read/ understand HR information.
The Roving HR Specialist will also ensure mastering of the HR digital solutions (HR Manager, Homère, Dynamics) used by DRC in West Africa to and their proper implementation through Nigeria with a careful eye on compliance and accurate information management.
The main responsibilities and tasks of the Roving HR Specialist in strong collaboration with the HR Coordinator are the following:
Recruitment, development and people planning:
- Work with senior management to identify needs for recruitments or replacements and come up with a planning and action plan for each
- Drive and support part of the confirmed recruitment processes while ensuring they are unfolding in strict compliance with DRC policies and principles
- Take the necessary steps, including the documentation, for the work contact and the smooth integration of the staff when and where needed. Coordinate the briefing plans.
- Ensure that staff receive a proper briefing on HR, Code of Conduct, Conflict of Interest when and where needed. The result is that they fully understand what is expected of them individually and collectively and what they benefit from.
- Proactively respond to and manage performance counselling, employee grievances and disciplinary issues as required, with a focus on building manager competency and ensuring compliance in terms of practice and documentation
- Act as an impartial mediator in disciplinary procedures and ensure it is administered in an equitable and fair manner and meets all legal and labor regulations and requirements
- Contribute to the identification, launching and technical assistance on staff well-being initiatives. Make sure that they are diverse enough and match the staff needs
- Ensure oversight and consistency in how well-being is implemented across the different field locations in Nigeria
Compensations & Benefits
- Assist with benchmarking the compensation and benefits situation in Nigeria (Birches Group, local surveys with International NGOS, etc)
- Assist the HR Coordinator with the establishment of the monthly payroll.
- Support the review of the Compensation and Benefits system when and where needed and apply strict confidentiality to that topic until senior management authorizes the communication about it.
- Support communication and explication on that topic upon request from the HR Coordinator
- Ensure oversight and consistency in how compensation and benefits are implemented across the different field locations in Nigeria
General Technical Support
- In collaboration with the HR Coordinator, provide overall technical support and advice to the country HR teams on all aspects of the HR function
- Support in the implementation of recommendations raised through internal & external audits, compliance audits etc.,
- Support the review and continuous improvement of Human Resources processes, policies, tools and templates and draft/update as needed, providing feedback on areas for improvement
- Update any board/ sitrep linked with HR piloting in Nigeria
- Advise on Nigeria legal framework
- Prepare and submit monthly, quarterly / annual reports as per the fixed deadlines and provide ad hoc reports as required by management
- Update regularly the visa tracker and follow up with international staff and HR Office Abuja for visa renewal as well as with other administrative formalities
Learning and Development
- Contribute to the development of the Learning & Development Country Strategy for Nigeria
- Establish and regularly update a catalogue of development and learning opportunities that staff in DRC Nigeria would benefit from. Feed it regularly with recommendations and collect feedbacks
- Work with senior management to enlist staff who are eligible to benefiting from a learning and development opportunity. Keep track of that information and contribute to the successful and timely implementation
- Ensure oversight and consistency in how learning and development is implemented across the different field locations in Nigeria
The responsibilities listed in the Job Description are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs by the Head of Support Services and the HR Coordinator but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role. * Required Qualifications
- University degree, preferably in Social Sciences, Development Studies, Human Resources and International / Humanitarian Law, Communications or similar.
- Minimum 3 years’ working experience in Human Resources with at least 2 years in a senior Human Resources management role within an NGO
- Knowledge and experience working with relevant sectorial areas implemented by DRC Nigeria programmes – including protection, food security, WASH, shelter, NFIs, mine action, mine risk education, and armed violence reduction
- Experience and willingness to work in the field in volatile and insecure areas;
- Experience living and working in a cross-cultural, multi-sector, team environment
- Ability to work well under pressure and in adverse conditions;
- Demonstrated commitment and strict adherence to confidentiality
- Effective communication skills (written and verbal);
- Proficiency in common computer packages i.e. Word, Excel, Power point etc
- Languages: Fluency in written and spoken English and Knowledge of Hausa and/or other languages used in northeast Nigeria would be a plus.
- Working knowledge of Homère, Dynamics and Talent Management (digital solutions for recruitments)
- Post graduate HR certificate or coaching certificate
- Required Skills & Qualities
- Core Competencies of DRC:
- Striving for excellence
- Taking the lead
- Demonstrating Integrity
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment
- Proactivity, with a sound commitment to teamwork and with a spirit of genuine collaboration
- Excellent communication skills, as well as patience and politeness, are required
- Multi-tasking and Organizational skills is a must
- Adaptable and Flexible
- Proven analytical and critical thinking skills
- Exemplary sense of ethics in the workplace
- Team-oriented & good sense of humor
- General Regulations
- The employee shall follow DRC instructions on safety, confidentiality and ethical guidelines, including the Code of Conduct and the Humanitarian Accountability Framework
- Employee should not engage in any other paid activity during the DRC contract period without prior authorization
- Employee should not engage in any activity that could harm DRC or the implementation of any project during the DRC contract period
- Employee should not give interviews to the media or publish project-related photos or other material without prior authorization
- Employee shall return all borrowed equipment for the project to DRC after the end of the contract period or upon request
- Application Process
Are you interested? Then apply for this position on line: www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
DRC provides equal opportunity in employment and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
DRC encourages all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process.
Applications close on the 07st of April 2021 at midnight (GMT-time). Applications submitted after this date will not be considered.
Due to the urgency of the position, DRC has the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.
Danish Refugee Council
View & Apply
15 total views, 1 today