Part-Time IT / Maintenance Assistant Recruitment at International Rescue Committee
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Position: IT / Maintenance Assistant
Requisition ID: req23142
Job Location: Monguno, Borno
Employment Type: Full-Time
Sector: Information Technology
Employment Category: Regular
Open to Expatriates: No
- The IT Department supports the organization’s work by providing reliable and scalable applications and infrastructure of the IRC’s offices in the US and around the world, including many technologically challenging locations.
- An integral component of this effort is ensuring that Country Programs have the capacity to implement and support these IT initiatives effectively across the country offices and in the field sites.
- Supporting Monguno field sites a VSAT Communication Technician that is skilled in installations, repairs, commission, and service of VSAT System.
- Under the supervision of the Country IT coordinator and IT Officer in Maiduguri, the VSAT technician is primarily responsible for providing technical support for products and services in the IRC field office.
- Responsible for providing technical support to VSAT installation and commissioning.
- Performing tasks related to Local Area Network (LAN) and WLAN troubleshooting in the field offices.
- Ensures that offices/Guest House infrastructures are functioning at any given time.
- Advanced knowledge of configuration and maintenance of VSAT modem, and experience with VSAT terminals (Ku, Ka, and C Band).
- Ensure continuous operation and monitoring of Hub and routers link to ensure all sites are up and running.
- Connect, monitor, control and configure networking equipment.
- Ability to diagnose faulty systems, apparatus or parts using equipment and hand tools to find the source of any breakdown and correct the problem at hand.
- Troubleshoot Radiofrequency and IP components of the VSAT system with computer software and test equipment, as well as make effective recommendations.
- Interpret troubleshooting results and determine the best course of action to restore VSAT operability in the least time possible manner and most cost-effective manner.
- Responsible for generating reports for daily activities.
- Advanced knowledge of handling different VSAT equipment. Such as satellite modems, transceivers, BUC, LNBs and antennas.
- Conduct preventive maintenances under the supervision of the logistics officer for plumbing systems, electrical systems, solar system and facility structures
- Supervise the works of technicians in repairs of IRC assets, equipment and properties as may be directed by the logistics officer
Key Working Relationships:
- Position reports to: Senior Area Manager
- Position directly supervises: no staff.
- Indirectly Reports to: IT Officer
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Engineering / Science and/or equivalent
Technical Skills & Experience:
- 2-3 years of relevant experience in Telecommunications and network administrations,
- Experience working with the following software and hardware equipment: Windows 10 Professional, MS Office 365, Sophos Anti-Virus, Routers, LAN, WAN, VSAT
- Good technical writing/documentation skills
- Must be able to work with limited supervision and exercise independent judgment in problem-solving.
Soft Skills and Competencies:
- Good verbal communication and report-writing skills with the ability to convey information effectively in the Country official language – English would be nice to have as an additional working language.
- Customer & client-centred and service-oriented mind & attitude, and ability to work under pressure and diligently carry out instructions.
- Proven sense of professional discretion, integrity, and ability to manage situations diplomatically and to effective resolution.
- Excellent English and other major Country languages communication skills including speaking, listening, and writing. Knowledge of Hausa will be an added advantage.
4 total views, 1 today