Full-Time Network Planning Engineer
Our client is a start-up electricity distribution company with a mission to serve customers in emerging markets with reliable and clean energy, financing of household and productive use appliances, and ancillary services. The Network Planning Engineer must establish, oversee, and direct activities, processes, resources, and systems related to effective utility infrastructure planning and design. The Network Planning Engineer will be responsible for ensuring all infrastructure development is performed following best planning and design practices, including needs assessment, evaluation, and analysis to determine optimum network expansion planning, and development of infrastructure solutions. The Network Planning Engineer shall develop project-specific designs and carry out evaluation and approval of designs in conjunction with the Substation Automation Engineer (responsible for Protection, SCADA, Automation, Test, and Commissioning). It is expected that the successful candidate will approach the task with the best cost-benefit approach while ensuring decisions align with the organization’s overall strategy. The Network Planning Engineer will report to the Network Operations Manager. He/She will supervise a Data Technician and collaborate with a range of external and internal stakeholders, including the Network Operations Manager for assessment of infrastructure improvement and renewal requirements, the Commercial Operations Manager to develop and assess new connection and connection upgrade solutions, and the Construction Manager for network upgrades and improvements.
- Minimum Qualification: Degree
- Experience Level: Senior level
- Experience Length: 10 years
Specific responsibilities include:
- Personnel and performance management: Participate in staff recruitment and selection processes; conduct staff appraisals, counseling and professional development, and day-to-day management; contribute to staff training and Skills Development planning.
- Procedures, systems, and controls: Develop Planning Procedures, Systems, and Controls. Communicate procedural requirements to personnel and ensure compliance; inspect work sites and work sequences and determine the need for corrective/ remedial measures; investigate workplace accidents/ incidents, provide direction on courses of action.
- Capture and maintain all development and new connection requests to assess regions of development and rate of demand requests.
- Engage with Maintenance and Operations teams to assess maintenance constraints and safety concerns caused by design deficiencies, inferior/outdated technology, and/or infrastructure constraints.
- Engage with Network Control to assess network constraints, overloads, and adjustments of normal open points and switching configuration. This includes continuous evaluation and confirmation of network open points to meet the design criteria of the network.
- Perform energy and demand forecast on a short-term (0-6months), mid-term (1-3 years), and long-term (4- 20 years) basis to identify and address capacity constraints and/or surplus and guide infrastructure development initiatives.
- Engage with external stakeholders to assess planned developments and ensure optimization of existing and planned infrastructure.
- Evaluate existing equipment based on age, technology replacement, and/or operational performance and identify an infrastructure replacement program that can be integrated with other planning activities.
- Define possible solutions that can be analyzed to address the various requirements which include capacity, design deficiency improvements, operational and maintenance constraints, customer/growth development, and adherence to regulatory requirements.
- Analyze proposed solutions using engineering analysis tools such as:
- Environmental assessment of proposed network changes,
- Technical Load Flow and Fault Level to identify network violations and overloads,
- Capital Costing (including life cycle costs), and financial analysis to evaluate best return on investment based on anticipated revenue and capital costs and operational and maintenance costs.
- Develop integrated network development and improvement plans, which must be well documented, justified, and published annually following management approval.
- Participate in planning forums internal and external to ensure integrated approaches and facilitation of optimum planning processes and infrastructure development.
- Develop, update, and improve the planning information management systems.
- All planning information must be maintained in the appropriate systems.
- Maintain the Network Model on the Network Model Management System (NMMS), and capture and maintain all future infrastructure on the NMMS.
- Generate and maintain all plantslots (network naming identifiers) using the NMMS.
- Design and maintain all network operational switching configuration and normally open/closed points.
- Capture and validate all as-built network information.
Designs & Project Development
- Develop connection designs, technical proposals for infrastructure changes and new connections/connection upgrades, and cost proposals to customers for new connections/connection upgrades and for infrastructure changes.
- Maintain equipment technical library and equipment costing library.
- Review and approve contractor technical designs.
- Monitor the progress of infrastructure development.
- Issue completion certificates for projects completed.
- Support land and right of way negotiations as well as other relevant approvals for future planned infrastructure.
Reporting & Audits:
- Reporting: Provide monthly reporting on infrastructure assets statistics, planning progress, energy, and demand forecasting.
- Internal Audits: Initiate internal audits related to planning process improvements and compliance checking
- External Audits: Oversee and manage external audits related to the planning process.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from a reputable institution.
- The candidates should be COREN Registered.
- 10+ years experience in electrical infrastructure design and project implementation.
- 5+ years experience in Long Term Network Development Planning.
- Deep understanding of planning and development processes.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of transmission, distribution, and reticulation infrastructure.
- Good understanding and knowledge of Nigerian Grid and Metering code, Infrastructure Standards, and regulatory requirements.
- Proficient skills in engineering analysis techniques including:
- Information Requirements
- Powerflow and Fault Level Studies
- Load and Energy Modelling and Forecasting
- Project Costing and Effort Assessment
- Financial Analysis
- Reporting and Results Presentation
- Effective communication, negotiation, and interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail, and talent for accuracy and precision.
- Critical thinking skills and the ability to research and understand technical, legal, and financial implications.
- Excellent reading, writing, and language skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint).
- Proficiency in information management, especially the application of GIS and Network Model Management Systems to capture and enhance planning and network information.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced/dynamic environment and good multitasking capabilities.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Good interpersonal, communication, and client/vendor interface skills.
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees, management, and external agencies to maximize performance.
- Good understanding of the Nigerian Electricity Supply Industry.
Important Safety Tips 1. Do not make any payment without confirming with the Jobberman Customer Support Team. 2. If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.
26 total views, 1 today