Full-Time Project Officer – Agriculture and Livelihoods (Yola)
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
Since April 2019 CRS’ Nigeria Country Program is implementing a 42-month Phase I of a Germany government project entitled, “Stabilization and Reconciliation in the Lake Chad Region (STaR)” in the North-East of Nigeria. Through programming in agriculture & livelihoods, social cohesion, community infrastructure and local governance, the project is intended to contribute to the stabilization and reconciliation in the most affected regions of the Lake Chad Basin namely Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states in Nigeria, Diffa in Niger and the Lake Region in Chad. CRS Nigeria is also anticipating a 33-months STaR phase II starting in Nigeria in January 2022 to be implemented in Yobe state only. The STaR Phase II project is implemented in Nigeria, Niger, Chad, and Cameroon.
Under the supervision of the Program Manager II – STaR project with Dotted Line technical supervision of the Agriculture & Livelihood Advisor. The incumbent will not supervise any CRS staff but will be responsible for the overall implementation of the Agriculture and Livelihood activities under the Economic revitalization component of the STaR project through partner staff(s) in communities within Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states. S/he will provide support in the implementation of STaR agriculture & livelihoods activities using CRS approaches and methodologies as articulated in the project proposal documentation to improve household food security and resilience of targeted communities. S/he will carry out their duties with a focus on mentoring and coaching of partner staff, project agricultural field agents and beneficiaries. S/he will ensure that all activities related to Agriculture and Livelihood in the project are implemented accordingly by ensuring participatory, inclusive and qualitative programing with accountability to the project participants. Focus areas will include improved agricultural practices, increasing yields, promotion of nutrient rich crops of legumes and cereals, diversification of livelihoods, value addition to existing agricultural produce, improved storage techniques, strengthening of producer groups, agro enterprise, collective marketing of focus crops, and vocational skills and entrepreneurial trainings.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
(i) Project Implementation and Technical Support
- Ensure that agriculture-based livelihoods related activities are implemented in accordance with CRS standards and approaches.
- Under the technical direction of the Agriculture/Livelihoods Advisor, lead the design and development of capacity strengthening strategies, approaches, and tools to support STaR partners and relevant government agencies in the area of agricultural livelihoods and enterprise development
- Provide technical support and guidance in the assessment, planning and implementation of agriculture / livelihoods activities of STaR in collaboration with STaR’s partners and relevant government agencies.
- Responsible for oversight of implementing partners on the day-to-day implementation of Agric and livelihood activities. Work with the local partners to provide technical assistance to smallholder farmers including assisting farmers in adopting new technologies and innovations for increased productivity, quality, efficiency, management, etc. through tailored trainings and demonstration trials where relevant.
- Lead the process of identifying and mentoring of community-based field agents (FAs) by ensuring good working relationship between FAs and government extension agents and mentoring FAs in becoming Private Agricultural Service Providers ( Agro-inputs and seeds).
- Lead STaR’s capacity development of producer groups and marketing committees and lead private sector linkages as well engagement including farmers’ linkage to input and output markets, facilitate linkage with the local service providers like tractor operators etc
- Work to deliver quality program and timely reporting of Agriculture & Livelihoods activities including ensuring the quality of Agriculture and Livelihood groups in target areas through regular field visits, technical backstopping, hand holding support to the Agric field agents and spot checks field implementation.
- Regularly brief the Agriculture & Livelihoods Advisor/STaR PM II on progress, promptly alert to emerging issues, foreseen problems and constraints or delays in the timely implementation of activities or any other factors that could affect the quality of the services and recommend and implement approved corrective measures.
- Contribute to technical content of proposal design and development including budgeting for Agric and livelihood resilience interventions.
(ii) Coordination and Representation
- Develop strong working relationships with community and village district administrations, local government institutions, and other existing projects within project locations. Including ensuring close coordination and synergy with the SILC and Social Cohesion community groups.
- Ensure alignment with other projects being implemented by CRS in the region.
- Lead STaR Nigeria’s partnership with private sector players in the agriculture / livelihoods sector
- Work closely with partners (GIZ, Private and public institutions, etc.) to deliver project results
- Under the direction of the Program Manager, represent STaR and support coordination and representation aimed at ensuring STaR contributes to the overall delivery of CRS’ strategies
(iii) Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL)
- Support monitoring, evaluation, supervision, and reporting of project activities in the project area in coordination with the MEAL Officer.
- Ensure contribution to timely completion of project performance tools including detailed implementation plans (DIPs) and indicator performance tracking tables (IPTT) as it relates to Agric and Livelihood activities and deliverables in target area.
- Provide regular support to Agriculture & Livelihoods Advisor/STaR PM II (using standardized formats) and reporting on implementation of field activities (weekly, Monthly and quarterly). Including proper documentation of all project activities towards Donor Remote Monitoring Missions (RMM)
- Document the implementation process, lessons learnt and success stories in each year of program implementation.
- Contribute to ensuring accountability to project beneficiaries and local stakeholders
Required Languages – – English, Hausa is compulsory. Other local languages spoken in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe is an added advantage.
Travel – Must be willing and able to travel up to 75 %.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Good time management skills with ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions oriented and results-oriented
- Excellent organization, planning and analytical skills; detail oriented
- Excellent communication, writing and interpersonal skills, with demonstrated strength in relationship management
- Experience in group development strengthening.
- Ability and desire to work well with diverse employees and customers in a cooperative and friendly manner
- Demonstrated progression in career with increasing responsibilities.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Agriculture & Livelihoods Advisor, Infrastructure Manager, Social Cohesion Officer / Assistant, Governance Officer, MEAL Assistant and SILC Officer, and CRS Yola staff
External: Relevant government Ministries Departments and Agencies, local and international NGOs, Local partners/sub recipients, Sector leads, local authorities, and communities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Agronomy, Agricultural Economics, Crop Science or relevant field or equivalent experience.
- At least four years of working experience in agriculture, development or food security programs including focus on at least one of the following sectors – agriculture, livelihoods, agriculture value-chain activities with experience in the agriculture sector in Northeast states of Nigeria as an added advantage.
- Demonstrated experience in designing and implementing agriculture projects in rural, peri-urban settings and post-conflict context.
- Excellent training facilitation skills with demonstrated experience in training design, development of training curriculum, delivery and mentoring in subject matter relevant to this position.
- Experience with the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of sustainable agriculture development and food security.
- Experience with market development approaches such as agricultural value-chain development (linking producers to markets) programming.
- Previous experience carrying out and using the results of technical capacity assessments in the areas of agricultural production, value-chain development, food security and related fields.
- Previous experience working with local partners (capacity building) and experience with participatory methods and partnerships.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
Note: All positions requiring residence or frequent travel outside their home country must undergo and clear a pre-employment medical examination.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to safeguarding the rights and dignity of all people – especially children and vulnerable adults – to live free from abuse and harm.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Catholic Relief Services
4 total views, 1 today