Full-Time SC Nurse Job at International Medical Corps
International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and Nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Position: SC Nurse
Job ID: DAM / NUT / 08
Job Location: Damboa, Borno
- IMC’s curative and preventive nutrition intervention has expanded to 15 OTPs in Damboa, Jere, Konduga and MMC LGAs. The curative component targets children, 6-59 months with SAM. Community health volunteers screen and refer children with a MUAC
11.5cm or WHZ
-3 or those with grade + or ++ or edema to OTP sites for treatment. SAM cases are treated at the OTP using RUTF, deworming and Vitamin supplementation. * Children with severe acute malnutrition and medical complications or those
6 months are referred to stabilization centers. In addition, caregivers of children 6-59 months are trained on how to measure MUAC. If a caregiver identifies a child with SAM these are re-assessed by the CHV and if confirmed, the child is referred to the OTP. * These children receive nutrition support through RUTF based on their weight, treated for infections using routine medication and screened and treated for malaria. The severely acutely malnourished who are 24-59 months are de-wormed.
- All severely acutely malnourished without edema receive routine vitamin A supplementation and zinc supplements for those that present with diarrhea, whilst those presenting with malnutrition and medical complications are to stabilization centers for specialized treatment.
- The principal objective of the Stabilization Centre (SC) Nurse role is to manage acute malnutrition as part of the basic health services in line with the national and international guidelines.
- The SC Nurse is responsible for nutrition rehabilitation of the admitted children through treatment of medical complications of Severe Acute Malnutrition and prevention of further deterioration of the nutrition situation through provision of therapeutic feeds, routine and specialized medicines, health and nutrition counselling.
- The SC Nurse is also responsible for ensuring quality of services through capacity building and technical support to the SC nutrition assistants in the management of complications associated with Severe Acute Malnutrition in line with the SC national and international protocols.
- Ensuring all criteria are adhered to and documented, including admission, discharge and transfer to and from the OTP
- Completing and updating the patient file to ensure a track of patient progress.
- Compiling the statistical data (admission, default, cured, absent, death) and drafting a report on activities.
- Maintaining supply consumption reports.
- Ensuring comprehensive medical examination, vital signs, frequent medicines and treatment according to the protocols.
- Following and adhering to the current protocols on drug administration i.e. antibiotics, antimalarial, anthelminthic.
- Ensuring timely therapeutic preparation and administering the appropriate feeds and medicines for the malnourished children in the SC.
- Carrying out daily nutritional status monitoring of severely malnourished children as prescribed in the protocol.
- Providing appropriate nutrition counselling and health education to the mothers and caretakers in the SC based on the protocols and guidelines.
- Ensuring adequate availability of all drugs and nutrition supply and ensuring stock is pre-positioned as planned.
- Consulting and informing the SC Doctor and/or Nutrition Manager on issues that may affect the smooth operations of the stabilization Centre.
- Ensuring proper handing over of duties within the SC.
- Preparing and updating the medical and nutritional record for ward rounds on a daily basis.
Qualifications and Experience
- Registered Nurse with a Degree in Nursing from a recognized Nigerian Institution.
- Over two (2) years’ experience in CMAM and IYCF programmes
- NYSC Certificate or Exemption letter
- Valid and current practicing license.
- Excellent report-writing skills
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Hausa
- Commitment to and understanding of IMC’s aims, values and principles.
- Extremely flexible, and have the ability to cope with stressful situations
- Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
- Strong communication skills: oral, written and presentation skills.
- Should be a team player and culturally sensitive.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, email and utilization of the internet
- Strong leadership, team building, conflict resolution and ability to deliver IMC’s strategic objectives.
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within International Medical Corps and amongst beneficiaries served by International Medical Corps.
- Any other duties that may be assigned from time by supervisors
Compliance & Ethics:
- Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV addressing it to “The Human Resource Coordinator, International Medical Corps” to:
- Candidates MUST state the POSITION, JOB ID ( DAM/NUT/08) and LOCATION they are applying for as the subject of their email, application letter and curriculum vitae should be in a single Microsoft Word Document, otherwise applications will not be considered.
- We are an equal opportunity organization so Borno State Based candidates are Strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
- Nigerian nationals only
- Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted
172 total views, 1 today