Full-Time Senior Investigator At The International Rescue Committee (irc)
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below
Job Title: Senior Investigator
Requisition ID: req11002
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full Time
The Senior Investigator position will manage investigators to conduct investigations of allegations involving fraud, waste, abuse, corruption, beneficiary exploitation and abuse, and other misconduct in the East, West and Great Lakes regions. The position will support IRC programs to ensure continued vigilance with regard to the risks associated with violations of IRC’s Code of Professional Conduct and Policies the law/regulations and the further development of complaints mechanisms and investigation capacity. In this role, you will additionally work with other IRC functional areas to support our partners, sub-grantees and other agencies in encouraging a work environment that minimizes the potential for misconduct.
Two commitments lie at the foundation of the IRC’s work: 1) our unceasing quest to serve the needs of our beneficiaries; and 2) our determination to meet the requirements of our donors as trusted stewards of their resources. This position will play a key role in meeting these challenges by furthering a critical mission of the Ethics and Compliance Unit – to safeguard our employees, beneficiaries, staff and resources from misconduct and abuse in complex and high-risk operating environments through investigating allegations of fraud, collusion and corruption in the use of the grant funds. Given the nature of our work, the position requires extensive travel on field missions to conduct investigations at IRC locations.
The position may be filled by candidates willing to work remotely or from an IRC office (when appropriate) in Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Sudan, Switzerland, Uganda, the United Kingdom, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Burundi, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Central African Republic.
- Undertake investigations of alleged fraud, corruption, waste, safeguarding and any other type of misconduct, with objectivity, impartiality and fairness throughout the investigative process and in accordance with generally recognized international investigative standards and IRC guidelines;
- Prepare reports and ad hoc briefs pertaining to investigations in coordination with the Senior Director of Investigations and the Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer and others as appropriate;
- Manage the Investigation regional portfolio including undertaking regular case reviews, investigation plans and investigation reports;
- Mentor and manage investigators, including regular performance reviews and overseeing the progress of all investigations in the portfolio;
- Appropriately escalate high-risk matters to the Senior Director of Investigations as required;
- Engage regularly with Country Directors and Regional Vice Presidents on investigations;
- Work with Compliance Coordinators or other local staff assigned to support investigations;
- Formulate investigation plans, review and analyze all information to determine its relevance and reliability, conduct interviews of staff and other involved parties, record interviews, obtain and analyze potential documentary and electronic evidence, conduct investigative research, prepare draft investigation reports, and present investigative results in a clear written form;
- Prepare recommendations for corrective action and improved controls and effectiveness or efficiency of IRC operations;
- Lead or participate (depending on the level) in the prioritization of investigative work in consultation with Ethics and Compliance Unit management;
- Participate in developing and revising compliance-related best practices and lessons learned from investigative work;
- Deliver investigation training, remotely and in person, to Country Program staff supporting investigations.
- Position Reports to: Senior Director of Investigations
- Position directly supervises: Investigator(s)
Other Internal and / or external contacts:
- Internal: Headquarters departments, international and U.S. program operations
- External: International representatives, partners, vendors, service providers and external auditors as needed
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree required in Business, Accounting, Law, International Relations, Criminal Justice or related field
- Certificates, licenses or advanced degrees in law, accounting or computer forensics an advantage: (CFE / CFF / CPA / CA / CCEP)
- 8+ years of progressively responsible experience in the field of investigations, with at least 4+ years in an international environment;
- Experience in the nonprofit, NGO sectors or grant-supported organizations, regional and international organizations, or the inspector general function within a large government organization;
- Experience conducting fraud, collusion, corruption, vendor and supplier collusion, safeguarding and other types of investigations in challenging environments, and preferably in the locations where the IRC operates;
- Experience working with investigation teams in remote locations and insecure environments;
- Experience examining forensic, financial, and electronic evidence;
- Extensive experience conducting interviews of witnesses and subjects in multicultural environments;
- Previous management experience a significant plus;
- Travel to insecure environments required.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to work effectively in English and French is a requirement;
- Fraud Investigation Principles and Techniques, including Procurement Fraud, Bribery, Collusion and Corruption;
- Sexual Exploitation and Abuse investigation and interviewing experience preferred;
- Excellent Judgement, Honesty and Integrity in the highest degree;
- Interviewing skills and the ability to interview both witnesses and subjects;
- Experience with computer and accounting forensic specialists (having such expertise a plus);
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing, including the preparation of clear and concise reports;
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and work successfully with internal functional units and operations;
- Data Analysis;
- MS Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint and VISIO;
- Demonstrated experience and a successful track record working with minimal direct supervision.
- Position will either be remote working from home or in an IRC office environment in any country where IRC is registered and the applicant resides.
- Travel 50% or more to developing countries including insecure environments (post Covid-19 travel restrictions).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way -Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Equality, Service, and Accountability
- In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
View & Apply
67 total views, 1 today