Full-Time Software Engineer (remote) At Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Software Engineer
- The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a software engineer to join our team, reporting to the release engineering team.
- Software engineers on the Release Engineering team steward the developer experience for our technical community.
- We build development environments, maintain CI/CD infrastructure, and design tools and processes to support our technical community.
- We believe in integrity, quality, collaboration, and free and open source software.
- Release Engineering is a remote team with six people spanning nine time zones.
You are responsible for:
- Deploying Wikipedia and our other wikis
- Helping design our continuous delivery system in GitLab
- Using Docker to build development environments
- Building our automated deployment pipeline
- Upgrading and maintaining Release Engineering tools for our large developer user base:
- CI/CD infrastructure: Jenkins, Zuul, Docker, GitLab
- Code review: GitLab/Gerrit
- Issue tracking: Phabricator
- Deployment tooling: Kubernetes/Helm
- Being a role model for Wikimedia’s values
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in related work experience
- Written and verbal English communication skills
- Collaboration and consensus-making skills
- Experience with systems/DevOps engineering and software
- Experience with continuous integration/delivery (CI/CD) systems
- Familiarity with server configuration management software (e.g., Ansible, SaltStack, Chef, or Puppet)
- Familiarity with container image maintenance
- Software Engineer in Release Engineering
Qualities that are important to us:
- Professional experience with one or more of the following: Python, Go, PHP
- Experience with Puppet
- Experience with GitLab administration
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Free culture/Free software experience
- Remote work experience
- You are inspired by our guiding principles and our mission
- Familiarity with/involvement in the Wikimedia community
- Located within UTC+3–UTC-8 time zones
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
17 total views, 1 today