Full-Time Writer Workshop For Freelance Writers At Farm Radio International (8 Openings)
Farm Radio International is a Canadian organisation that has been working since 1979 to harness the power of radio to meet the needs of small-scale farmers. We work with more than 1,000 radio organizations located in more than 40 African countries to fight poverty and food insecurity. With the benefit of FRI resources and training, our broadcasting partners deliver practical, relevant, and timely information to tens of millions of farmers, including women farmers. We also work with a range of partners to implement radio projects that address specific development challenges and community needs.
We invite applications for:
Job Title: Writer Workshop for Freelance Writer
Location: Nigeria, Remote
- In collaboration with the Green Innovation Centers for the Agriculture and Food Sector program, the REGIS project works with radio stations and other partners to research, design, deliver and evaluate quality interactive radio series for women and men small-scale farmers in four value chains.
- Farm Radio International is working closely with eight (8) radio station partners and key stakeholder groups in the GIZ target states to design and deliver 24-week interactive radio programs per value chain per state – i.e. Maize (Kaduna and Kano), Rice (Benue, Nassarawa and parts of Cross River States), Cassava (Ogun and Oyo) and Irish potato (Plateau) from November 2020 to April 2022 (18 months).
- The main aim of the proposed interactive radio programming is increased knowledge and uptake of improved techniques and innovations by smallholder men and women farmers contributing to improved productivity in various value chains
- We produce a variety of radio resources, including interview scripts, backgrounders, and radio spots. We also produce a bi-weekly news service, called Barza Wire.
- We rely on freelance writers to produce these radio resources, and so we would like to conduct a training workshop with Nigerian writers to grow our pool of reliable freelance writers. Learn more about our resources here: www.farmradio.fm.
About the Training
Dates: This workshop will take place over the course of a week in June. It consists of 5 modules, which will include a mixture of synchronous and online activities.
Farm Radio International will be hosting a writing workshop for journalists interested in writing about agriculture and contributing to Farm Radio’s publications. Participants will learn about journalism skills as well as the structure of Farm Radio’s stories, scripts, and backgrounders. Modules will include:
- Active voice, plain language, descriptive writing
- Research skills, including finding interviewees
- Interview skills, including selecting the best quotes
Participants will receive a writing assignment as part of the workshop and will be paid when it is published. Participants will then be added to our pool of freelance writers, to be called upon when we have writing opportunities. These opportunities are conditional on funding.
Qualifications, Experience & Skills
- Degree in Journalism, Communication or a related field or the equivalent work experience in a relevant field
- Experience writing stories, scripts, and/or technical documents
- Excellent communication skills, including written and oral
- High level of English, both spoken and written with fluency
- Understanding of, and experience with, gender equality and inclusion issues
- Understanding of, and experience with, agriculture.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should please send their CV and two writing samples to: If you have experience writing scripts or writing about agricultural topics, please be sure to include those in your writing samples and in your email subject, include the Job Title, e.g “Writer Workshop for Freelance Writers”.
Note: Farm Radio is an affirmative action employer. Women, people of colour and members of equity-seeking communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
43 total views, 1 today